Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Module 4: Reading Reflection


 Looking across Chapters 10 and 11, which of the understandings and strategies in the comprehensive literacy program are you already addressing/doing with your students (or have you done, or do you plan to do)?

In my Kindergarten classroom, I am currently engaging my students in a comprehensive literacy program.  Each day, my students complete 90 minutes of language arts.  In the morning, students complete a Daily Literacy rotation in which students have guided reading small group time with me, complete a writing center, read independently, read to a friend, attend a listening center, and complete word work.  ­Weaver explains the importance of a comprehensive literacy program for students who need additional support, “…students who need support and help with reading will flourish best in a classroom that offers them such a rich array of literacy experiences and learning opportunities …” (Weaver 232).  I agree with Weavers statement; it is extremely important for students who struggle with language arts concepts to be exposed to reading and writing in a variety of ways throughout the day. Weaver continues to explain the importance of literacy for readers in need, “Developmentally, whole-word reading comes before dealing with letter-sound relationships, as children learn to read signs, labels, and other words in their environment” (Weaver 235).  In my classroom, I also conduct whole group read-alouds were students are actively engaged in answering comprehension questions and responding to a text while I read to students.  All in all, I believe it is extremely important for students to be engaged in multiple areas of literacy to prepare for subject content standards presented in the upper grades.  

2 comments:

  1. I love how you set up your literacy time! It is great that your students get so much time to read and write- their little minds soak up so much language at that age too! I also agree with Weaver's statement about struggling students and the need for them to be exposed to literacy throughout the day- this is especially important for the ELL's and Special Education students! The read alouds are so great for students to hear- they love sharing their connections! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catie,

    Wow! I love the Daily Literacy Rotation. Do they get to all of those stations within the week or during the day? I love all of the different centers and I think it is great for kindergarteners that you can expose them to literacy in many ways- independent, group, buddy reading, books on tape, looking through books, writing about them, etc.

    I also love that you implement whole class read alouds. Do you typically read texts that are a little harder for them?

    ReplyDelete