Saturday, July 20, 2013

Final Personal Model of the Theory of Reading

Catherine Fink
EDRD 7515: Theory & Practice in the Study of Literature
Final Personal Model of the Theory of Reading
17 July 2013
            After completion of this course, in addition to the readings and comprehensive literacy approach assignments, my views of teaching reading have truly changed for the better.  Before completion of this course, I knew that it was important to engaged students in literacy lessons and encourage them to want to read, I was just unsure of the best methods to use in the classroom.  After this course, I feel confident that I will be giving my students the best literacy education possible through implementation of multiple reading elements. 
            The comprehensive literacy approach assignment was a true eye opener as an educator.  I was truly unaware of the importance of the multiple approaches to teaching literacy.  In my classroom, I plan on implementing a comprehensive approach to teaching literacy through implementation of the following: reading workshop, writing, workshop, phonics, comprehension, inquiry, social action projects, and literacy for all learners.  After completion of the Wimba presentations, I was able to better understand the importance of these topics and more importantly how to implement them in my own classroom.  Through this assignment, I learned many methods and strategies to teaching reading and gained a variety of resources which will be very beneficial to my future students. 
            As a kindergarten teacher, this class has been extremely beneficial to the success of my teaching and education of my future students.  I was fortunate enough to explore the topic of phonics in the classroom and the importance of a comprehensive phonics approach.  Phonics instruction fits in a comprehensive program in multiple ways including: whole-class instruction, guided reading instruction, individual instruction and in some cases, extra tutoring help. Weaver explains, “…a comprehensive classroom literacy program is absolutely crucial as the major form of organization and instruction” (Weaver 277).  After completion of this course, I realized the importance of incorporating phonics into a comprehensive program and not teaching phonics concepts alone.  Through the use of incorporating phonics into a comprehensive program, students learn literacy concepts including reading and writing workshop, vocabulary, and comprehension skills much more effectively than teaching phonics alone. 
            As an educator, I have been able to experience multiple ways to teaching literacy and I was truly enlightened after our Wimba group presentation on literacy for all learners.  Through this approach, all students’ literacy needs are being met. I was introduced to a wonderful reading approach called CAFÉ or The Daily Five.  Through this program, students are working with multiple elements of literacy in addition to working at their instructional level.  I believe these programs are wonderful examples of a true comprehensive literacy approach.  In this approach, concepts such as reading, writing, phonics, inquiry, and comprehension needs are being met. I have seen the Daily Five rotation in a classroom and it is truly eye-opening.  Students have the power of choice and have the ability to choose which literacy station they want to start in. This 90 minute rotation allows students to truly engage in all concepts of literacy and allows students to take responsibility of their own learning.             
            This class has been extremely beneficial to me as a kindergarten educator.  Teaching reading is vital to students learning and academic success and it is very important for my kindergarten students to learn literacy strategies which will help them in their future academics.  Through this class, I have not only learned the many ways of teaching reading, but how to incorporate the multiple ways into a comprehensive literacy approach where all students needs are being met  in the classroom.  I am very excited to implement the strategies I have learned this semester into my classroom in the fall! All in all, I am very grateful for this course and I look forward to the many ways in which my future students will be successful. 












References
Weaver, C. (2002). Reading Process & Practice. Portsmouth, New Hampshire: Heinemann.


No comments:

Post a Comment