Saturday, July 13, 2013

Module 5: Instructional Challenge

Instructional Challenge:As your school year starts, you realize that you have three ELLs who are newcomers to the United States. Discuss how a comprehensive literacy program addresses their needs, drawing attention to specific components of the framework that are particularly relevant. Then discuss any additional scaffolding you would offer to support these children's needs.


**If I were to have three ELL students in my classroom, I would enforce the comprehensive literacy program approach to teaching literacy.  Through this approach, students are able to engage in a variety of activities and lessons which will increase their language skills.  Through the comprehensive literacy program, these students will engage in activities such as : Whole-class instruction, guided reading instruction, individual instruction and with ELL's in  most cases tutoring will be very beneficial to their development of language.  Weaver explains, "Providing a variety of learning opportunities, in whole-class, small-group, and individual sessions, is probably the most important thing we do can to ensure good reading instruction that will be effective, in time, for almost all students" (Weaver 277).  Scaffolding and collaboration are important activities to plan for ELL students also.  Through the use of providing students with scaffold activities, "the teacher, another adult, or classmates provide temporary support for the learners" (280).  In a classroom it is important to create a community of learners who work collaboratively together.  Through the use of providing multiple opportunities of learning through whole group, small group, and individual instruction, in addition to creating scaffolding lessons, I believe those ELL students will be successful in my classroom.



2 comments:

  1. I think that we should provide lots of one on one attention for ELL students. My school is about 1/2 ELL and they do need that extra push. I think that providing individual instruction is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catie, I too think it is important to immerse the ELLs in all the components of a Comprehensive Literacy Program. At my school, the ELLs get pulled out for ESOL so I feel that they need to feel included before and after they leave.

    ReplyDelete