Instructional Challenge:
Next year, you will be teaching in a school where the vast majority of students did not meet standard on your state's criterion-referenced test and where more than 75% of the students are eligible for free and reduced-price meals. What are some specific universal literacy strategies you may implement to ensure students success?
*In the beginning of the year, I would assess each students reading level and place them in flexible learning groups. Within these groups, I would provide differentiated literacy instruction when they are working with me in a small group. I love the idea of the Daily Five or CAFE program which are great to teaching literacy for all learners. After completion of this course, I realized the importance of implementing a comprehensive literacy approach to teaching reading and writing. Within this approach, students are exposed to reading and writing elements through work in reading and writing workshops, computer/eBooks/iPad stations, reading to self or to a friend, writing station, word work and lastly work with the teacher in small group. Through this 90 minute literacy block, all learners are able to engage in literacy elements and work at their instructional and independent level.
Outside of class, I would make an effort to learn about student's backgrounds and families. I would look at their student profiles and test scores to determine the areas of weaknesses. Throughout the year, I wold continuously assess students reading levels and make sure they are in their appropriate instructional learning group.
I really think your ideas are great to take the time outside of class to learn about your students' background and families. I think learning about the students' interests and hobbies outside of school would be useful when providing the right kinds of books that would grasp their interests.The students would be excited about reading. Also, creating a positive rapport with your students' and their parents would help promote positive behaviors in the classroom.
ReplyDelete