Sunday, June 30, 2013

Module 3: Activity 2

*What do you think of this? What do such activities and cracking the code contribute to proficient reading? What else might a reader need to become proficient?

 I disagree with the passage on nonsense words.  I believe the one-on-one tutoring in individual letters and sounds provided in the video is a wonderful resource.  Although the student with learning disabilities was creating words that were nonsense, he was proficiently sounding out and blending words.  (I also love how the teachers provided a slide workmat where he could appropriately place individual letters!) In my opinion, this is wonderful practice.  I believe as an educator it is our responsibility to provide students with as much practice creating and blending words as possible.  I would tell students that the words they are creating and blending are "silly fun words" for the purpose of the activity.  A great example of blending nonsense words would be through the use of a Dr. Suess book. I'd love to launch a lesson using Dr. Suess books and create blending and rhyming activities for students to engage in.  All in all, I believe having students create and blend nonsense words is beneifical to their reading acheivement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment