*Do you agree with Marilyn Adams (1990, pg. 108) who argued
that rather than relying on content, skillful readers of English thoroughly process
the individual letters of words in their texts? Why or why not?
I disagree with Adams argument that skilled readers focus
intently on individual letters when reading a text. I believe the reading process is so much more
than that. Weaver explains, “These
studies, and indeed all the eye movement and fixation studies I have ever read
about, show quite clearly that skilled readers do not focus on every word”
(106). Proficient readers do not focus
on each single word much less every letter in a passage. The eye fixation on words in a passage and
the speed and fluency also determine how proficient a reader is and how well
they comprehend a text. Weaver continues
to explain, “Furthermore-an observation from everyday life-good readers do not
read word-for-word or even line-by-line when they choose to read more rapidly
than that, as many good readers do, especially when reading for their own
pleasure and their own purposes-even when their purpose is to gain information”
(109). When reading, the purpose is to
gain information; therefore, I believe people read and look for key words in a
passage to gain understanding.
I completely agree. I can't imagine focusing on each individual letter as I read. It would take forever to actually construct meaning.
ReplyDelete