Sunday, June 30, 2013

Module 3: Mock Memo from a Reading Specialist

*Erica, a fifth grader, reads grade level passages at a rate of 177 words correct per minute, or 30% faster than grade level norms.  When asked to retell what she has read, Erica struggles and is able to give little to no information from about the text. Many other children in Erica's class also read well above grade level expectations for fluency rate (or automaticity), but the teacher laments that they struggle with comprehension and using appropriate expression and intonation while they read.

**What is going on here? What advice can you offer the teacher? What a memo to the teacher from the viewpoint of the school's Reading Specialist. Give the teacher an explanation for the phenomenon and offer her advice on dealing with the situation. Please keep the memo to no more than 400 words.


Although Erica is a student who reads on grade level and is a fluent reader, Erica struggles with comprehending the text.  As educators, it is important to note the following points Weaver presents in Reading Process and Practice:

* "Fluent reading doesn't guarantee comprehension"
* "Comprehension doesn't require fluent reading"
* "Thoughtful reading is often-perhaps usually-not fluent"
* "Fluent reading may actually mask a lack of attention to meaning"

If I were the school's Reading Specialist, I would explain to Erica's teacher that Erica may need to be re-evaluated in her reading.  I would explain to the teacher that Erica's proficient level of fluency is not related to her level of comprehension.  Weaver explains, "We need to be sure, however, that when we ask or invite students to reread texts until they can read them fluently, we are not sending them the wrong message about what reading is. Fluency must not replace a focus on meaning as the goal of reading" (215).  The advice I would give to Erica's teacher would to participate in a think-aloud procedure where Erica can think aloud as she is reading a text in order to strengthen her comprehension skills.  I would also remind the teacher to consider Erica's background knowledge. Weaver explains, "...we often do not think about students' probable lack of background knowledge for reading simple storybooks..." (227).  As educators, it is important to help students activate prior knowledge before completing a reading.  I would suggest the teacher activate students' prior  knowledge by completing a KWL chart during the reading.  All in all, I believe Erica's comprehension skills will be strengthened through the use of think-alouds during reading and helping her to activate prior knowledge. 

1 comment:

  1. I love your idea about completing a KWL chart while reading. I think this would be a great, developmentally appropriate way to assist with comprehension.

    ReplyDelete